- RESIDENTIAL PROJECT - Berowra Valley National Park
September 28, 2020 - October 2, 2020
7:00 am - 5:00 pm
Here at YouthAdvance – Australia we pride ourselves on not just providing a tick box approach.
Our mission is to provide opportunities to young Australians which will challenge and reward them via active engagement through personal pursuits and community-based projects.
YouthAdvance provides a structured and proven framework that takes our Participants outside their comfort zone, with our team and community of volunteers mentoring and encouragement participants our end goal is that they are equipped for work and life.
This year YouthAdvance and NSW National Parks have collaborated to create a residential project. With the program taking part only 75min northwest of Sydney, participants will be working hand in hand with rangers from the Blue Mountain National park on several projects with the boundaries of Dhurag National Park. Camping amongst the tall gums in Mill Creek and heading out on day trips within the park, participants will be working closely in small teams to undertake the following projects;
- Feral Species identification, mapping and impact studies.
- Park Management, trail identification, visitor signage mapping maintenance
- Introduced weed identification, mapping, and removal process
- Cultural Awareness, protection and interpretation.
- Venue – Berowra Valley National Park
- Dates – September School Holidays – 28th Sep to the 2nd of October
- Fees – $450.00
Take a look at the 2019 Draft – Program Overview
- Transport to and from the venue
- All camping and National Park fees
- Instruction and supervision from our experienced and qualified Outdoor Educators and NSW National Parks Staff
- Group communication devices ie InReach, EPIRBS and satellite phones while in the field
- Group first aid kit
- On trip brief and de-brief
FOOD AND WATER
Each candidate is responsible for planning, supplying and preparing their meals for the duration of the program. For pre-prepared hiking, meals check out our selection at http://www.youthadvance.com.au/product-category/equipment-store/camp-food/. Participants will need to start with at least 3Lt. During dry weather periods, water can be difficult to source so this is a minimum amount. Extra water will be provided at the campsite.
COVID-19 SAFE REQUIREMENT
YouthAdvance has a COVID-19 Safe Plan in place which outlines the following elements;
- Prior to the start of the program, clients confirm and sign our COVID declaration’
- Prior to the start of each day, temperatures are checked and recorded
- While in transport all staff and clients MUST wear a supplied facemask
- No shared equipment, this includes tents, cooking equipment, program equipment and work tools
- Each program has a hand sanitizer station set up for the full duration of the program
- Participants and staff are to maintain social distancing requirements at all times
- This is an outdoor-based program. If staff or participants are to enter an enclosed space then no more then 1 person per 4 square metres is allowed.
AWARD LEADER APPROVAL
Participants are required to seek approval from your Award before booking this project. This is a requirement of The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award – Australia. Please supply your Award Leaders Details when completing the booking. NOTE: participants are encouraged not to attend this program as a group of friend. The residential project is designed to put you in an environment where you are required to work as a team with persons who are unfamiliar to you. This decision ultimately sits with your Award Leader.
MOBILE PHONE USAGE AND CONTACT
Phone coverage at the program venue can be poor or non-existent at times. Students are allowed to bring their phones while on the program but if it gets broken or wet the participant will be fully responsible for damages.
When you have registered for your hike, you will be sent a link to CareMonkey.
We use CareMonkey to collect Medical information. Please ensure that you take the time to accurately and honestly complete the required data fields. Accurate medical data is important in the event of an unforeseen medical emergency occurring while on the program.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact our Outdoor Recreation Manager at [email protected]
Please select the “Register” button at the top of this page to register
This program has a max cap of 15 participants.